Monday, March 30, 2009

What did I get myself into...

So I had my first Direct Enrollment class, which is a 2 weekend course with the University of Alicante on Saturday from 10-2 then 4-8, and let me tell you, it was not what I, or anyone else, expected. The class is called "Cuerpo, movimiento y accion" which means "body, movement and action." So I figured that we would be dancing and moving like that. Yeah, no. We spent over 4 hours rolling around on the floor, "feeling the movements." I could not stop laughing because I felt ridiculous, along with the other Americans in the class. There were also Spanish people in the class that were actually PAYING to do all this crazy stuff. We did an activity outside in partners. The one person would close their eyes, while the other would lead them around by the back of the neck. When the exercise was over, the teacher asked us what we felt. This one Spanish girl said that when she hugged a tree, she could feel the energy from it....yeah, I had to hold back my laughter so hard. I was like you people are nuts. After our lunch break, we did another lame activity which consisted of 3 people sitting in chairs in front of everyone and they could only raise their hands...yeah...this lasted for about an hour. When I went up, I apparently wasn't raising my hand straight, and she called me out on it in front of everyone. I told her that when I normally raise my hand, I don't do it straight up. She said it seemed like I was being lazy and I was like um...ok. This was after she told me to stop laughing and smiling so much. Then the creepy old guy in our class with a crazy eye said that he liked my presence...I was like oh gee thanks...NOT. Geez louize. We ended the class with some improv dancing, but it was optional, so I opted not to do it. One of my friends got a video of it, and everyone that was "dancing" looked like they were on drugs or something. So yeah after the first day, I figured the teacher pretty much hated me.

Then on Sunday, I had the class again from 10-2, and it was so hard to wake up for it, because we all left the class saying how much we hated it and felt so dirty after being on the floor for a billion hours. The walk to the bus stop felt like the longest walk of my life, and then the ride to the University felt even longer than usual. I was not looking forward to it at all, especially now that I know I have a not-so-secret admirer...yuck! Once we got there, the difference between our culture and the Spanish culture was clearly visible. In Spain, "being on time" means if the class starts at 10, you come around 10:15. So there were all the Americans right at 10 and a little earlier, and the first Spaniard didn't come waltzing in til 10:20ish. 20 mins of waiting for a class that we hated. We finally got started and it actually wasn't bad at all. Our first activity was doing different walks across the room. It was fun watching everyone's take on what the teacher told us to do. It was actually what I expected the class to be like. After our break, we focused on speed. We got into groups and we each picked a pose and then we would switch spots and do each other's poses. Every time we would switch, we would have to go slower and slower. Our last activity was doing a string of movements 3 times at different speeds in front of the class. So with mine, I pretended like I was creeping around these wooden polls things in our class, and when I was done, my teacher said that she really liked mine, and I was like Oh! Thanks! Haha, so I don't think she hates me as much now. We didn't leave the class hating it, just dead tired, because what we did was actually like a work out, and now we are all sore from it! We only have the class this Saturday and Sunday, and then we're done, so hopefully I can survive til then!

For an update on what I'm doing, my spring break starts in a week and a half! I'm really excited, I just have a lot of work to finish before then. I also booked 2 more trips! I am going to France the first weekend in May and then Ireland in the middle of May. Also, there has been a change of plans for when I'm coming home. My new date is May 31st. A little early than what I wanted, but there's nothing I can do about it, and I know that I will be back here sometime, so I'm trying to get over it. I hope everyone is doing well, and I miss you!!

2 comments:

  1. Nostradamus has a quatrain, something about a Spaniard with a crazy eye, so watch yourself. Thanks for the tour, maybe you should get a job as a guide over there when you return.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Holly, the fun we're gonna have with you when you get back...........teehee..Dave's already acting out the part as the Spaniard with the crazy eye, we decided your Dad will play the tree hugger, and I will be the teacher scolding you.. lol.....I can already hear your Dad making fun of you for being sore after some poses...better start working out!!!!! Mandelbaum, Mandelbaum, Mandelbaum!

    ReplyDelete